Navigation Bar

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Our Little Flour!

Yep! I spelled that correctly! I ground up some wheat for some healthy cookies. Lilia found the flour and had a lot of fun!

I had these cookies with my friend Tamara when we were visiting for breakfast. Cookies for breakfast is the best! She was one of my roommates in college.  She is a great cook and we enjoy staying with her family when we get the chance.  I put my changes in this color.

DIANA’S BREAKFAST COOKIES by Diana Chamness’ book "Life Spice"


1 ½ C flour (Optional: Use ½ whole wheat)  I use all whole wheat
1 C Sugar  I use brown sugar
½ tsp. Baking soda
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
3/4 tsp. Cinnamon
3/4 C Shortening
1 Egg
1 C Mashed ripe bananas  I use 3 frozen bananas defrosted
1 3/4 C Quick Rolled Oats
6 oz. pkg. Chocolate chips, also raisins, nuts, coconut, dates, anything else you like, as long as there’s room in the batter.

Combine all ingredients in a very large bowl. Drop by tablespoons on ungreased cookie sheet or make into bar cookies. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes (longer for bar cookies, cut while warm.)

*We use all whole wheat flour. Have put in walnuts and pecans (we prefer pecans b/c they are sweet enough to provide the sweet without having to add the chocolate chips) and sometimes chocolate chips. Usually use a tsp dropper b/c we like the bite sized cookies. We also don’t measure the bananas, just guesstimate so the moisture content varies with each batch. Moisture might also be effected by the quality of whole wheat we are using. Some turn out very moist and flatten a little to the normal cookie size/shape, but they stick together in storage. Others turn out drier and don’t flatten at all but also never stick together. Baking for the cookies usually takes us about 17 to 20 min for us. While we do just dump all ingredients in together if using a powerful mixer, if doing it by hand or not powerful mixer, I recommend mixing the moist up first and then adding dry ingredients one or two at a time to ensure good mixing and to make it easier to mix.

1 comment:

The Miller's said...

LOVE her bracelets =)