Navigation Bar

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Diana's Breakfast Cookies

These are from the "Life Spice" by Diana Chamness.  My room mate in college Tamara gave the recipe a couple of years ago after we visited her and she made them for us.  We love them so much!

1 1/2 Cups flour (I use whole wheat)
1 Cup Sugar
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
3/4 tsp. Cinnamon
3/4 Cup Shortening
1 Egg
1 Cup Mashed Ripe Bananas (I have used pumpkin as well)
1 3/4 Cup Quick Rolled Oats (I have used regular as well)
6 oz pkg of Chocolate chips (I use dark chocolate), raisins, nuts, coconut, dates, anything else you like as long as the dough has room in the batter. (I also only put in the first 3 of the above add ons)
Combine all ingredients in a very large bowl. Drop by tablespoons on ungreased cookie sheet or make into bar cookies.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes (longer for bar cookies, cut while warm).  I made them into bar cookies but they crumbled. I like to freeze the extra dough in a log in wax paper and label for cookies later on when I want them. 
We also nick named these fiber pellets because they are so healthy!

No comments: